View Single Post
Old 10th May 2017, 05:38 PM

Excellent information, thanks. Now, I'm primarily a mechanical engineer so I'm having to dig deep to the depths of my memory of my training for electrcal principals haha. I think I'm right to say that the faster the engine turns the greater the signal amplitude will be from the sensor, assuming the signal isn't conditioned in some way, such as through a voltage regulator.

If I want to test the sensor are there any checks I can do without having to set it up with an exciter ring (reluctor ring?) and scope? I should be able to get a shot of a picoscope that I can rig up with the sensor still on the car so I can get a trace with the engine cranking hot and cold. Is this something that can be checked using VCDS?

I'm reluctant to spend money on another sensor on the off chance, although the evidence does point towards the intermotor one failing very quickly!

What manufacturer is the OEM sensor and does anyone know the manufacturer's part number? I should be able to get a Bosch one fairly cheap through my father's work if that's OEM.

As for the cranking speed, I did check it with my OBDII reader on live data and I didnt think it was all that fast but I cant remember off the top of my head. I should check it again.

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance, gill