View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:46 AM

First of all, apologies everyone for not getting on with this sooner. The car seems to dictate what I do and when I do it not the other way round. She gave me some more pressing issues to deal with.

As you should be able to see from the pictures, I have dissected the pipes so we can all see more clearly what is going on. The pipe that leads to the oil cooler, with the rotatable end on it, seems to me to be fairly standard. The other one though is a different matter.

I have sent the picture of the more complex one out to a couple of companies and received the reply bellow from Spectrum Hose. I have included my initial email for reference.
-------------
Hi
I and some of my fellow old Audi s8 enthusiast's are trying to find a solution for our power steering pipes that are no longer available from Audi.

The pipes are a little different from the usual in that they have a plastic sleeve inside them. This plastic sleeve has small holes drilled in it along its length.

Is this anything you have seen before and more importantly, is it any thing you could make up?

I am happy to send you the original as a sample if necessary but I would need it back as its the only one I have and they are difficult to get hold of.

Am happy to pay postage in both directions if you want to take a look.

Corrosion of the long metal pipe end is also very common on this car and so is probably un-reusable. Can you think of any solution?

Thanks in advance
Frank

The reply

Hi Frank,

I have had a look at the picture you sent of your Power Steering hoses.

I am fairly confident that I will be able to help you.

We usually ask people not to do anything to the hoses but I think I can work with what you have.

We have to reuse the ends, so the top ones look ok (not rusty) The bottom one (shorter) my be a problem, the rusty (left) elbow looks beyond using, we might have a 90° elbow we can use but they are not long like the original so we would have to lengthen the rubber hose to make up the length.

If you want to send them our address is

Spectrum Hose Ltd
Unit 5 Desborough Industrial Park
Desborough Park Road
High Wycombe
Bucks
HP12 3BG.

As an estimate they will be roughly £70.00each plus vat

Carriage £12.50 plus Vat

Usually, 1 working day turn around

Kind Regards

Neil Rutter
Director
-------------
I am thinking of send the hoses off this week but would appreciate any comments incase I am missing something.

One question in my mind is why is that long metal union there in the first place? Would using a smaller elbow and then replacing the extra (now missing) length with rubber pipe cause any other problems?

I am planning to post out on Friday, any comments, opinions before then would be greatfully received.

Cheers Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190903-101716_Gallery.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	22107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190902-071818_Gallery.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	22108