View Single Post
Old 17th November 2017, 02:24 PM

Default Fitting out a garage :)

Hi folks

We're due to move house before Christmas (fingers tightly crossed!) and for the first time in my life I will have a double garage to play with unfortunately it's not a massive double garage, so getting 2 fairly chunky cars in with any hope of the Mrs getting one out without running it down the door frame are subject to review when we move in!

The garage is integral to the house, and has the boiler mounted on the back wall, with access through to the house on the same wall. No need to mess about with the garage door as it's already a double width and electric - yay £3k+ saved!

In the current house I've made fairly ingenious use of cheap materials to increase storage space (x2 kitchen worktops on a 4" timber frame that allows a car to drive under the worktops) and I've lined the walls with offcuts of carpet screwed to the walls wherever needed. Similarly x2 bikes mounted on one wall. As it's an apex roof I've also been able to hang stuff from the rafters and put some boards down to use the space above.

For the new place I don't want it to look bodged/cheaply done, but I do want to be able to lift one car on a jack inside the garage if I'm rotating wheels etc without wrecking a fancy tile floor i.e. it'll be a working space as well as storage. I don't feel the need to fill it with expensive tool cabinets, but some metal wall mounted kitchen style units on the back wall seems a much nicer idea than open shelves for hiding away the multitude of tools and car cleaning parafernalia I've accumulated over the years.

I'm also toying with the idea of some kind of reflective finish on the far wall up to eye level in the car, to make judging the position of the car easier as going in front first makes sense - possibly polished stainless steel?

Has anyone here come across UK suppliers that sell the sort of stuff I think I'm looking for, but struggling to find through random Google searches?! I'm wondering if going along to the Autosport show might be the best way to see some options, as memories from years ago are that there's quite a few suppliers of that type that attend.

Tips/ideas based on practical experience are very much welcome

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC