View Single Post
Old 17th November 2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McB View Post
I actually started my search for an A8 by looking at that idea for a track car/European adventure car (with the premise that if it blew up then id just leave it wherever I was & fly home)
Well. This will not be that kinda project, but the main reason is to have a turn-key and go racing with out all the hassle of turbo's and all other stuff i have done with my RS2 and URS6.. (expensive things break all the time) and the C4 Chassis along with the B4 chassis ar not that good on the track.

Quote:

I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a viable track project - mainly because of the complex 4x4 system, the auto box & the potential repair costs. I actually opted for a Volvo in place.
The quattro system in it self i see no problem in regarding track racing. Would of course need a torsen rear diff. My only consern since i find no info on the web is how will the D2 chassis handle it selv. Will i be to heavy no matter what i do?

I have yet to try my S8 on any track but from pushing it on narrow mountain roads it feels alot more aligned and corners way better then the RS2 and S6 for sure..

Will of course need a new adjustable suspension and most likely adjustable controll arms.

Quote:
If you buy a manual version it would take some of the costs/reliability out -
BUT

Its never gonna be a cheap option - depends on how much cash youre willing to throw at a track project.
Then there is the definition of "Cheap"
i Had my S6 for 13 years and put apx 10K GBP in engine and suspension (only parts cost and to many hours in the garage) It managed 460 bhp to the crank and did really run perfect, but with high pressure turbo engine somethings always brake and just maintaning is expensive and timeconsuming.

I bought the S8 3,5 years ago and got ut "cheap" £18600.. The used car marked has fallen severly so the value now might be £10000. So i see no reason to sell but insted mondify it to become the weekend racer and garage Queen Other option would be to buy an S4 B5 or S2 that would cost me more the value of my car. Then i would need to spend 10k again on turbo, rods, fuel system, and so on.

I do believe that the 40v V8 will be a good working horse and that the weight reduction would make the car powerfull enough withoutt going compressor/turbo

But i need some info how it behaves on the track So if anyone find anything please let me know

I could by a Manual S8 from Germany for £6500 But when the tax to bring it in here is £13000 that wont be cost effective
1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)