View Single Post
Old 17th November 2014, 02:55 PM

There was a old thread somewhere on Tyresmoke, before we all migrated to A8Parts, where Botang and another chap, forgot his name, stripped out a 4.2 A8 D2 (FL?) and used it on the track. If I remember correctly their thoughts were that its a really good chassis because it is so stiff. They did a quarter mile run, the 0-60 was something like 5.7s which is faster than the book value for a FL S8 6.2s
I cant remember what weight they got it down to eventually, I think it was just above 1500kg.

Look in your service book, there is no way your auto S8 weighs 1730kg, it will be above 1800kg I'm afraid.

Just roughly, front seats -68kg (but +20 if you went with bucket seats), rear seats -30kg, spare wheel -24kg, cut out middle and rear exhaust boxes -20kg.
Also there is the carpets, not sure how much but I'm guessing 10kg.
That's the cheap stuff -132 total.

Then the expensive stuff, lithium battery -20kg, JHM lightweight discs -9kg, OZ Racing ultraLeggera? 18" alloys -20kg (my mistake not -32) (Michellin Super sport tyres). Rough estimate of cost: £3200
That's another -49kg.

Total: -200kg rounded off with a few bits and bobs (depending on your options) heated windscreen & wiring, electric sunshade all the boot tools.

Just remembered, no sunroof could be another 10kg or 20kg, anyone weighed one?

Actually, forget what I said, if they got a 4.2 A8 down to 1550kg and it started off at 1850kg which is a good average, my previous S8 was 1865 with options, then it should be possible to remove 300kg from the car. They did take literally all the trim out, dashboard, everything. A8 4.2 should weigh the same as a S8, no real difference there except options.

The problem ultimately may be that the engine hangs out over the front wheels, and the auto box weighs 145kg dry and probably 155kg realistically with fluids and flex plate,etc.
The difference between the auto box and the 75kg (85kg with flywheel) manual box in sharp turns is very noticable.

Last edited by Goran; 17th November 2014 at 03:25 PM.