View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 06:26 PM

Default Depressed A8 owner - Warwickshire

Hello all, registered here a while back, but never got round to posting before, but have had disaster and need some assistance.

My car is W885HFC, a facelift 4.2 quattro Sport, owned since October 2006 and now on 121,000 miles.

For a while I've felt that the gearbox was not as smooth as it once was, change from 2nd down to 1st when pulling up particularly noticeable.

So, last week I got round to having a transmission oil change at Vasstech in Rugby, and had the engine oil replaced and the wheels re-balanced at the same time. They assured me they only use OEM parts by the way.

I didn't really notice any improvement in the change unfortunately, and today the worst has happened, the gearbox seemed to have given up the ghost.

On the way to work this morning, some of the changes were really clonking, complete with the noise, but on the way home it felt like the clutches were slipping, then it went into 'failsafe' mode.

I drove straight back to Vasstech - the guy there came out for a quick drive and basically told me it's terminal, but not a job they would take on due to lack of expertise.

So, what I need to know is:

1. Has the dealer used the wrong ATF and done me, or;
2. Was it coming anyway, and this is just coincedence?

If the latter, can anyone point me in the direction of somebody that can repair/replace at reasonable cost, otherwise I have no choice but to scrap her, which would be a total shame as she is pretty good order otherwise, if not perfect.

Thanks for any help or advice you guys can give me.

Steve - 07973 335168