View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2019, 11:40 PM

Default Note to self - pull finger out and do things instead of prevaricating

This one has come back to bite me on the bum....

Car started perfectly today and drove for around 6 miles and then I suffered a huge loss of power. I thought my gearbox was playing up and then I heard the engine running like a bag of spannners, like 3 or 4 cylinders instead of 8 so it was as lumpy as duck... intentional misspelling there. I eventually shafted the battery due to the countless attempts to get the engine to 'catch; as the engine simply wouldn't run normally and tickover was something around 200-300rpm. No power to move forward at all.

Was able to switch the engine off and read codes which came back with the aforementioned issue with the O2 sensor/bank message so I'll have to arrange for a low-loader no doubt in order to get Helga back to a nice warm garage. RAC didn't pick up the phone, and when I tried to join the AA (as a back-up option), they told me it was going to take them until 01:30 to reach me so I kindly refused their offer. Dad came over in the diesel Clio and it managed to tow my limo/tank about 300 yards up the road to a safer place. My only advice from tonight's escapade is that I know now exactly how much work my PAS pump works, as well as the servo-assistance on the brakes and it took almost a herculean effort from my skinny frame to either brake or turn the steering wheel.

I'll get the car back to the local garage. DS Autowerks is not an option at the moment but I will have to sort that out first thing in the morning,