View Single Post
Old 4th May 2017, 06:54 PM

Default 4.0 tdi hot start problem

Hi guys.

I thought I had this one sorted. Car never started when it was hot. would just spin the engine round for ten seconds or so and would do it till the vattery was dead. Always started with a jump start though when it was hot. started fine once it had cooled down for an hour or so though.

I had it scanned a while back and the only thing the (audi trained) guy could find was an egr fault that he reckoned could be stopping the thing start, he reckoned the valve was sticking open. When I thought about it a bit though I couldnt see how a jump start would get it going no problem every time.

I fitted a new (intermotor) crank sensor a couple of weeks ago. since then it has started first time every time no matter how hot it was but over the last couple of days I noticed it cranking for longer when hot and tonight it was back to spinning round endlessly without catching.

I really thought I had it licked with the crank sensor, is it possible that it has to be an OEM sensor? I'd still expect an aftermarket one to last more than 10 days or so.

The other possibility is the power management module as I understand from researching the problem, especially as I know it has been jumped straight to the battery terminals but howcould a new sensor make it work for as long as it did?

any help gratefully received, gill