View Single Post
Old 6th June 2017, 05:25 PM

Thanks guys. Starter motor is the chief suspect now for me anyway. The battery has been replaced several times over the past year by the PO and by myself, going through the paperwork the PPO changed it as well about two years ago.

I will try unplugging the coolant sensor if i can get to it. I believe on this engine it is underneath the AC pump a d requires the pump to be removed and the AC evacuated and re-gassed before turnign the engine on due to there not being a clutch on the pump. Not sure what the truth of that is though.

I suppose i shouldn't overlook obvious things like the earth strap connections from the engine to the body. Corrosion between the steel of the strap and the aluminium of the bodywork could just be impeding the current enough to not let the engine turn over fast enough. It seems to spin over at much the same speed hot or cold, by ear anyway. As I mentioned i my last post, my code reader doesnt reacy fast enough to get a reliable rpm figure unless its cranking for ages and not starting.

Has anyone had any experience of pulling a starter on one of these things? When I fitted the crank sensor it was quite late and I hadn't put the axle stands anywhere near high enough, so I was really squeezing myself underneath and as i was convinced that the sensor was the culprit I didnt really look any further to look at starters or anything.

Its still a huge mystery as to why it worked perfectly with the last sensor for that 6 days.

gill