View Single Post
Old 10th October 2019, 01:28 PM

Tool was second hand from ebay.de, £350. I'll keep persuing the 5mm (or 5.1mm) pipe for a while, see if I can find any. Initially it's not looking good though, been on it all morning.

What has triggered this little brake pipe project is that I purchased a second hand set of front callipers (Brembo) to get refurbished, as spares. Every single union and bleed screw was corroded into the caliper. Even using heat, all the aluminium threads came out with the union.

As well as that, the rigid brake pipe from caliper inlet to the holding bracket (where the flex pipe joins it) was badly corroded and simply twisted and broke when I tried to remove it.

I didn't go too careful with it as it was a spare on the bench but it has given me fair worning that if I need to do brake work on the car, I need to be prepared for problems. Especially around the wheel arch areas.

It could be as simple as trying to change the brake fluid and a bleed screw strips out the calliper.

I'm not sure if the whole car is 5mm but if I needed to cut a corroded section out of a 5mm pipe, is it OK to splice in a 4.75mm section?

I'm thinking a 10mm male gland on the 5mm pipe. A 10mm male gland on the 4.75mm pipe connected together with a 10mm double female. Would that work?