View Single Post
Old 13th July 2018, 09:25 PM

Default Antrouter R1-LTC

So I bought Antminer R1-LTC a while ago, well jus before they dropped price from $40 to $30. They have sent me $10 coupon that can be used for PSU or another Antrouter as compensation but shipping costs for {PSU are high due to weight so it is cheaper just to buy one already in UK from people who import them by pallet load and I am not sure I need another Antrouter.

Anyway it 'smore like buying lottery ticket as it does solo mining on Antpool, if you find a block you get full reward, otherwise you do not get anything.

I am running one of my Antminers at the location where there is no Ethernet and I was using Netgear WiFi extender with Ethernet port to connect Antminer to WiFi network so it made sense to use Antrouter to do the same job but also mine the block lottery at the same time. I still need to run some mats but I think the odds are better than lottery.

My initial research showed that Antrouer uses 4.5W/hour but I could not find definitive answer for my current Netgear extender, specoifications just said 110-240V & 0.1A which would mean 11-24W which seamed like a lot. Online search showed that for other people it uses 5-8W. Now that I have got both my old Netgear and antrouter I can confirm that Neatgear uses 2.1W and Antrouter uses 5-5.1W.

So to compare it to the chances of winning Euromillionns at my current electricity rate it will cost me about £2.63/year more to run it than Netgear extender or just slightly more than 1 Euromillions ticket. My average chance to get the block is a bit under once in 800 years with a cost about £2k and return of £1500 at current rates and difficulty or a return of 75%, EM chance in winning jackpot is in average is to spend 291m to win 49m. This is just for jackpot and not counting smaller prizes you will win along the way but still compelling case for having Antrouter.

The biggest problem with Antrouer was that out of the box it you cannot use to connect wired device to wireless newtork. It's only meant to be used as Ethernet to Wireless router otr acces point so getting it to work the other way round id a bit fidly but possible. Yo need to install relay package to it and then SSH into it and enable the installed package along with some configuration on the web interface. I can confirm that it is indeed possible and it does work. But the mining LED does not light up after changes like it should even when pool reports that you are mining.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure