View Single Post
Old 6th December 2019, 02:35 PM

Default Re-bush or replace?

I'm just curious as to other owners experience / opinion on Re-bushing audi suspension control arms.

I've never really felt the need to Re-bush any aluminium suspension components up until this point, I generally just replace the whole thing. As control arms are getting harder to get hold of for my D2 rear end I thought I'd give it a go.

I bought some second hand rear control arms and some Febest bushes to experiment with. I have a 6t press and variety of pressing tools to use so was expecting it to be pretty streight forward.

I couldn't have been more wrong......

I managed to get the 6 bushes out of the 2 rear control arms but it was a real pain and took ages. I have, as yet, not managed to get a new one back in without destroying it. No mater how much I clean the arms and lubricate the bushes, they always seem to jam up 3/4 or so of the way through and then the press just distorts them.

I know it can be particularly difficult pressing into aluminium as things seem to pick up on the ally but what am I doing wrong here? Or is re-bushing just generally not a good idea?