Thread: 47p2's Garage
View Single Post
Old 11th February 2012, 11:04 AM

I had deliberately left the floor open, this allowed it to settle down and with moving vehicles in and out it dropped another few inches, so another 20 tonnes of hardcore were laid

1 year and one week after the build started it was time to put in the floor. I had a few quotes and spoke with several contractors about this and every one gave a different way of tackling the work. I decided that I should tackle this myself, although it was not really something I had wanted to do but with the poor replies I had received from the 'experts' I felt that I was better qualified to lay the floor properly and not take any short cuts. Get this wrong and it would mean digging out and disposing of 33 tonnes of hard concrete

The floor was prepped with flexible board and rebar. The flexible board is almost like a compressed old fashioned carpet felt and it will allow for any expansion of the concrete slab without damage to the walls. The rebar mesh is sitting on pedestals at a predetermined height. The blue sleeves are to allow movement between the 3 bays. The dowel in the sleeve will be set into concrete in one bay and the sleeve set in the adjacent bay which will allow movement without causing cracks.

The fist bay is in

and given time to cure

Then the rebar is set out in the other two bays ready for pouring the concrete

The bay where the ramp was going was last to do, it is the largest area and also the deepest at 8" thick

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro