Thread: You dirty MAF
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2019, 04:53 PM

Default You dirty MAF

I noticed some error codes on a recent scan for the mass airflow meter (MAF) and also the lambda sensors downstream. This was coupled with some hesitation on idle after starting, which cleared after 20-30 seconds or so.

I removed the air filter box cover and air filter and assumed the electrical gubbins at the bottom was the MAF but then realised it's located in the top part. A quick dousing with electrical contact cleaner and a 10 minute drying out in the sunshine and I put it all back together. Car starts perfectly and on a quick test run, it just seems smoother on the auto gearbox changes as well as being slightly more peppy.

(Note - I didn't remove the MAF from within the round plastic part as that seems to be secured with two Torx-headed bolts, but these aren't normal Torx, and they're not even M&S bolts... lol. The heads look like they have a little raised spot in the middle, in an effort to stop people fiddling/cleaning it properly/removing it. Perhaps this is AudiTorx, mmmmm.)