View Single Post
Old 30th April 2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I've had that on a few occasions, after having new discs/pads fitted, when the mechanic failed to properly re-insert the pad retainer spring (or whatever it's called). On my D2 that is of course, but I'm assuming D3 calipers are similar.

If the spring clip is inserted incorrectly, such that it's not pressing against the pads, they rattle around until you hit the brakes. It's a surprisingly loud and tinny rattle too. I thought I had a loose exhaust mounting the first time I heard it.
Thanks. This was my first asumption and it may well be the cause. The spring-plate does seem to be fitted correctly (as per Tech Dump) and can only go one way. I wonder if they bent it a bit to make it easier to fit hence losing it's tension? It also makes a clicking sound when stationery if you pump the pedal (when you let go) so does sound like the spring is U/S.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder