View Single Post
Old 21st April 2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwentie View Post
A few questions:

When you remove the brake line, doesn't that assume that brake fluid will just pour out? or would that only happen if the brake pedal was depressed?

Also, when you say bleed the brakes, do you mean to remove some of the old brake fluid and top up with more, in order to remove any trapped air?

thanks again for your post - I found it very useful!

ps - what were the initial symptoms? you mention sliding pins? not familiar with these - would love to hear more on this.
Hi,
The brake fluid will slowly drip out when the caliper is removed but nothing major. You could probably clamp the hose to prevent it from leaking out. I had a spare caliper I connected to keep it sealed.

Yes, the brakes must be bled from the bleed valve after changing the caliper as there will be "air gaps" in the pipes/piston.

The sliding pins are shown on the first photo - they hold both parts of the floating caliper assembly together (like rails). The pins must be kept greased otherwise they can seize up and prevent the caliper from moving in and out freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
I used one of these (or similar) from Machine Mart to help with retracting the pistons:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/lase...e-wind-tool-s/
Thanks. I also have one of these but it didn't come with the correct attachment for the A8 pistons. A cheap G-clamp seemed to work well as the piston doesn't need to be turned while it's being pushed in once the piston has been fully wound in from behind.