View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:36 PM

Hi
Sorry, had an absolutely manic day today.
So, I will be with you tomorrow morning.

Spoke to my Audi garage in Harrow and two weeks ago they have done two swaps on A8, one 3.0TDi and one Q7 3.0Tdi.
Bad news is that on Q7 you don't need to drop the engine down where on 3.0TDi A8 you have to drop the engine with the suspension frame in order to disconnect gearbox from the engine. Cost of the swap inc driver which is part of the mechatronic inside the gearbox is £960.

But, you can't just swap the gearbox as it won't work with the others gearbox driver or control unit however you want to call it.
You have to remove your original driver unit (from mechatronic) and swap it with the one on the new gearbox. If you just swap the gearboxes it won't work, simple.
So the one main thing to hope for is for your driver on your gearbox to not be faulty as new complete mechatronic is £4k. If it's mechanical and electronic side is fine then it's a ''simple'' job, they do these jobs all the time.

Before making any decision we can always send them VCDS scan so they can have a look at it first, before transporting car to them if you decide to go with them or any other place.

Guys, what's the best plan for tomorrow?
- Full scan, save it and clear all the faults.
- Delete all the faults one by one or just engine and gearbox??
- Start the car, attempt to drive until it goes into limp mode and do another full scan or just gearbox and engine?
That is obviously if car will move at all after loosing drive completely as Adam said. It could be mechanical or electronics just cut the gears off completely for safety ?!

I am simply going there to help a forum member and give him so hope and starting point in process of making decision.

I've got very little understanding of mechanics so if I used a wrong term don't jump on me straight away as I always could misunderstood something.
What I would say is that they know what they are doing amd what needs to be done re gearbox swap so it works, their reputation is impeccable and they have no time for BS and I know them for 6 years now and I will vouch for their work and what they say.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten