View Single Post
Old 31st March 2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The screen can be seen flying off in the impact, so I guess it was put back but maybe not very securely? Given the way it's bonded that presumably wouldn't happen to a normal model in a collision?
Yeah, you can see them cutting them both out early on, and they clearly didn't bond it back in. It certainly wouldn't fly out like that if fitted properly, and I think were it left in the scuttle and roof would not have folded up like they did. A bonded laminated screen conveys a considerable amount of strength to the roof structure. There used to be videos (which I can no longer find) of testing bonded vs gasketed screens in rollovers, I think for either a Vauxhall Cavalier or Vectra, and it makes a substantial difference. Interestingly, VW bonded the screen in to the mk2 Golf Rallye for better body stiffness, where the ordinary models still had rubber seals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems
I think their point was to take it apart to scan and measure aluminium components to feed into their 3D computer model
Fair point, but in that case it seems odd for the NHTSA to be reverse-engineering someone else's product, since Audi would have done all this themselves before production started. I thought the NHTSA's remit would be to test products for consumer safety, but perhaps it goes further than that?