View Single Post
Old 6th September 2016, 07:08 PM

Default Service Counts in boring detail ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Car could be set on variable or fixed service interval, but either way it should normally ping a reminder at 1000 miles before service then count down each time you start after that with miles left and then just say "Service Due" at 0 Miles when it is due/overdue
Just to add to whatever has been said by 'Architex_mA8tey' and others:

The A8 service interval for 'fixed' servicing is 10,000 miles, so if you've you've done over that and the '1000 mile' alert has not appeared on the DIS, then you're on Variable servicing - which is 'up to 19,000'. [These numbers are the default instument cluster values although you can 'mix em up' if you have VCDS, which can alter the values independently of a 'service reset'].

The D3 never had a mechanism to tell you how far to the next service, although VCDS will let you display the current 'counts' out of the cluster. All very well but it doesn't indicate what triggers the 'service in 1000 miles'.

Here's a [slightly edited] VCDS sample out of my cluster, taken between services; I'm set to variable [oil quality set to '2'] so the min mileage before service is 9000 miles [counter 42] and the max mileage is set to 19000 miles - value 43.

Channel Description Unit Current val.
02 Service Reminder Status ... 0
40 Mileage since Service miles x100 8
41 Time since Service Days 31
42 Min Mileage to Service miles x100 90
43 Max Mileage to Service miles x100 190
44 Max Time to Service Days 730
45 Oil Quality 2
47 Soot Quantity km x100 29
48 Thermal Load km x100 15
49 Min Time to Service Days 730

The cluster evaluates [to an unknown Audi formula] the 'Soot Quantity' and 'Thermal Load' values, and sets the 'Service reminder' value to '1' when it thinks the service is due. This causes the DIS to display the Service Reminder and use the service mileage fields to start the countdown.

Julian

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!