View Single Post
Old 16th December 2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I think the S8 won that battle then.

Its impossible to see any damage at all at the front, other than the wheel being in the wrong place. The subframe had shifted but thats not the extent of it, hence changing all four control arms as a first step as the bush in the right lower rear is looking a bit squished. All the subframe bolts are in the right place so if control arms don't correct it then a replacement front subframe is also in order, but we'll have to wait and see on that.

The damage to the body at the rear is pretty superficial in the end as the hard points are all in the same place. This is what happened:

As the subframe moved forward, rotating around the bolt (yellow arrow) the solid block in the bush (yellow hash) ran out of travel and started pushing through the upper bush face (red circle).

This movement pushed on the subframe mounting pad, moving it upward (orange). As the cast aluminium moved, it was constrained by the threaded boss (purple) which is a very solid chunk of stuff. The energy was therefore imparted to the area in front of the boss, which moved upward slightly (green arrows) and cracked the weld.

The rear of the mounting pad (purple area) is untouched and still where it should be, so welding up the crack will put the strength back in that area and everything should align up just fine again.

The D2s use an amazingly strong aluminium alloy. I remember when we repaired the sill damage to Big Red, trying to bend the metal back in to position took a remarkable amount of force. It is much harder than steel of the era.

Back when I had my first D2 3.7 a colleague driving a mk1 Renault Laguna ran in to the back of it in stop-start motorway traffic. The Laguna was destroyed and had a D2-shaped void where it's bumper and radiator used to be and had to be towed away. My A8's bumper was scratched and the aluminium trim came off, but was otherwise unharmed

Incredible breakdown

I love watching aviation disaster documentaries and how the investigators piece together the chain of events leading to the crash or near miss. Your breakdown reminded me of this

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White