Thread: weight saving
View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Why the yen for turbo's?
Anyone can bolt one on and up the output. Its crude, and it works. But I like to think Audi were going for something better and technically far harder to achieve, because ultimately a naturally aspirated engine delivers its power way more predictably and smoothly, that's class.

And.... S8's were no slouch when they hit the scene, since when there's been a lot of time for others to play catch up.
Turbos because the possibility for getting more 'oomph' when required is much much easier. A simple remap gives 50 BHP and costs about £3/400. Try getting another 50 BHP out of a naturally aspirated car and see how much that costs. There are B5 S4s pushing out some serious 5/600 BHP in the UK which wouldn't have been possible without Turbos. Also Audi are all about turbo'd quick cars, the 5 pot quattro,RS 2 etc... 360 BHP was a decent amount of power I suppose when the D2 S8 came out. Each to their own but I much prefer the power delivery in a turbod car, oodles more torque too.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds