View Single Post
Old 9th November 2017, 11:25 AM

Hi There,

An interesting evening playing with the GPU rig. It was pushing out ~37Mhs on Ether using ethermine.org which i felt was a bit poor for 4x GTX970 Doing some reading people were getting 18-22 per card though that's about 5 months ago and I gather due to DAG? it's dropping anyway.
However one of the options for the card "Optimise for compute" seemed to be missing from the driver in Win 8.1 and the OS seems like a bit of a dog anyway, with a kind of tablet display, so I upgraded (officially) to Windows 10. Seemed a good long term move anyway and you can still upgrade for free until the end of the year, so why not!
I've now added the option and ticked it, along with a couple of other bits and i'm getting ~50Mhs which is far more respectable. This is without fiddling with bios's or overclocking and the cards are running about the same temp and fan speeds!

I still think there is potentially more MHs to grab as i've yet to play with a couple of the other miners and i've heard that some versions of the drivers can do better. I also wonder if a couple of the older versions of the miners may work better as the latest ones seem to be 10 series optimised. However a 13Mhs increase for very little is certainly a WIN in my books.

Looking at currencies ( https://coinranking.com/ ) i'm guessing that only the top few high value ones are worth mining these days, unless the difficulty levels are low that you get a lot of drops to compensate for the low value.

The lower value ones look better to buy as small amounts of cash will buy a reasonable number and given the amount of cash invested, I think most of that list will probably grow and if we're talking beer to night out money it's not a lot of cash for some interesting potential.

Also starting to wonder if a hardware wallet is going to be a smart move as *SO* many software wallets. Thinking https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products/ledger-nano-s ???

Lee

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)