View Single Post
Old 5th November 2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Here's the source Reffro, so don't shoot the messenger, even if I was talking about sales by value, not volume.

https://electrek.co/2018/10/24/tesla...#disqus_thread

I'm surprised you think they're likely to have a big fail, given your knowledge of the industry: (some) people have been predicting this for years, and they're way more viable now than they've ever been - e.g. the margins on the Model 3 are higher that of those from traditional other makers - unless you're disputing that too - which is (one) of the factors behind their market cap.
OK, that reads a bit better, but not much...that article is typical of the puff pieces that are written in the green press, throwing in lots of facts an figures without qualification.

The article first references the US market for Q3 only, yet then refers to a global total for deliveries. The revenues for the Model 3 for one quarter only are broadly correct, but it is only a 3 month snapshot and only reference the 'US Cars' which ignores the SUV's which are classed as 'Trucks'. FYI Toyota RAV4 had the highest revenue for vehicles that we would consider cars. Also Tesla's total global revenues are still less that what Ford generated for F-150 alone in the US.

The profits are a significant positive for Tesla, but in terms of profitability they are still way behind many global manufacturers who don't carry similar debt burdens.

My point is one swallow does not make a summer. Good progress yes, but far from definitive, at a point in time when a whole raft of competitor vehicles are primed to arrive.