View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:25 AM

Well here's a (sort of) update;

Back in Feb this year I was quoted £333.00 to replace the gearbox oil on the W12.

The same place quoted me £284.78 to replace the gearbox oil in my D2 S8 but that included the oil itself, filter, gasket & sump bolts.

Rang this morning to get it booked on (as MOT has expired...don't ask) and asked them to replace gearbox oil at the same time.

Price has now gone up to £373.96 *OIL ONLY* and I am told I don't need a filter or gasket?

Apparently the W12 takes 10.8l at a cost of £28.33 p/ltr

The cost of oil is one thing but the thing that worries me is that I am told I don't need anything else despite asking that the filter be replaced and by definition the gasket if the sump needs to be dropped to get at it.

Seems strange that on the S8 they allowed for filter, gasket & bolts but tell me there is no filter that can be replaced on the W12?

According to Dave there is indeed a strainer/filter for the box and obviously the gasket to be replaced also...thanks for listing the part numbers Dave!

An exploded parts diagram showing the filter would be great if some kind soul out there has one please?

Is it possible to flush the box by removing oil cooler hose & pumping or dropping the oil, refilling, dropping again & then final refill or just drop & refill? Now that could work out expensive at £28.33 x 21.6l

If not flushed then I'm guessing all of the old oil won't be removed in which case I won't need all 10.8l recommended?

And is the oil fill procedure the same as the D2 ie. fill through the drain plug while monitoring temperature and running it through the gears or whatever the black magic art may be?

All these questions...

Car is booked in for MOT on Thursday so it would be ideal if someone could post a reply fairly quickly if possible please?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Last edited by GlynH; 23rd April 2013 at 11:31 AM.