View Single Post
Old 7th December 2021, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
200 miles range would be a stretch, definitely not real world range. See the breakdown below.

16 module 85 battery new is actually about 81kWh total capacity and 90 is about 85-86. 4kWh is reserved capacity when the left range indicates '0'. 90 is degrading faster at start but then slows down, by the year 2 or 3 they are about the same. By the year 5,100k miles they are all about 75-77kWh and with 4kWh reserved you get about 71-73kWh usable which is about 250-260 miles indicated on full charge. You do not charge it full because the fuller it gets the slower it charges and it's also not good for battery to charge it full and you do not run it empty either. So in real life you use 20-80% which is 60% so would be 150 miles indicated range. It's possible to get indicated range if you do not use AC or heating and take it easy but in reality you get maybe 130 miles out of 150 in summer and 100 in winter.

Then add the fact that A8 will probably has higher air resistance and it will not be packaged and optimised as well as Tesla. If you keep the charging range 20-80% you will get maybe 70-100 miles usable range.
I'd broadly agree with Ainars logic, but not wholly with his conservative estimates , after the point above about 250/260 miles range once this has "stabilised" a bit. I'd say charging to 90% regularly is just fine (& to 100% occasionally, as long as you're then using it straight away - which you would do on a road trip). I don't get the maths about 60% though, and aircon/heating makes virtually no difference (maybe 5 to 10 miles, max...) to range, although winter certainly does.

So my number for the installed range in an '8 would be higher, and almost certainly in excess of 150 miles using an 85/90D battery.

However, if such an installation was in my S8, I'd still drive it like one (what would be the point otherwise, with all that instant power, and no auto gearbox lag ? ), so the range would probably end up closer to Ainars (upper-end) estimate anyway - S8s are meant to be driven, Model Ss less so

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.

Last edited by tintin; 7th December 2021 at 03:10 AM.