View Single Post
Old 16th December 2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post

It is an eminently sensible option for the future, rather than replacing all combustion-engined vehicles with new EVs, but until parts are common enough to become commodity items, they are still going to be prohibitively expensive for 99% of motorists. A Tesla swap in to a D2 for example would be in the region of £15K just for parts, to get motor, control electronics, and enough batteries for a reasonable range. No one is going to spend that, but £5K and it becomes more realistic. Even to swap my Mum's Beetle Cabrio using Nissan Leaf bits is going to be in the order of £10K by the time it works, which is just silly. Yes, I have looked in to both extensively

We need more EVs on the road so that 1, the parts are produced in higher volumes and get cheaper, and 2, more of them end up crashed and broken for bits, and then we also need government subsidies or incentives to do the conversions in the first place. Only then will we see this becoming mainstream.
Loving the thought put in here. The 8s are big, but that low weight aluminium base helps in terms of weight and longevity and them being huge is a big bonus.

I'd be tempted to put a stack in the back of boot too. The back bit is so awkward for day to day use that loosing some space would still result in a decent size boot. My old S8 had an LPG tank there and it was no great loss!

I'm guessing as battery tech improves we'll get better range from smaller packs, along with high efficiency motors.
Tesla are WAY ahead of the pack on almost everything here, but there are still break throughs to be made!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)