View Single Post
Old 9th May 2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Sergey, having very fond memories of our trip around the Lake District (I think) in your car and mine (at the time), as well as reading all your posts about the car, I am horrified to see your beautiful machine so damaged.

But I am curious about the ‘market value’ concept of a car like your pristine D2. Who decides this value? And, for those of us with cherished D2s, what would we consider ‘market value’ to be? We’ve seen very nice D2s advertised at around the £15K mark and many of us (including me) are happy to spend thousands of pounds to keep our cars in shape. So the idea that the ‘market value’ of your car, Sergey, is around £1K seems ludicrous. If you’d put it for sale for £10K, I would have considered it a bargain!
I am very sorry indeed to see such a sorry tale!
Usually the market value is based on the trade guides, so probably would be about £1k (my S8 was about £2k). You can challenge this though based on the fact that the market value is one where you should be able to replace your vehicle for one of the same make,model , year and condition as to the one you have.

But be aware that the According to the Financial Ombudsman say:
"We don't usually find adverts helpful to judge a vehicle's value, because the selling price usually turns out to be lower. But they may be if the car’s a classic or rare model."

You'll need to prove to the insurance company how much it would cost to get something similar. In my favour I had the sales receipt showing I had paid more and since it was fairly recent it was enough.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)