View Single Post
Old 15th May 2022, 07:37 AM

Some heinous bodging has been going on there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
This is what my air filter box looks like. Both screws are rusty. It's also missing a nut as you can see in the upper right corner of the air filter box.
Fairly normal these days. You can buy square nuts which fit in to the slots in the airbox (can't remember if M5 or M6), and if you look at motorcycle suppliers you can often find black anodised bolts which, while having different heads, at least look nice in the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan
Is this bracket near the washer fluid cap damaged? Also what is this for?
There should be a plastic trim panel which fills in that area - 4D0806584D01C. The stump in the bracket is the remains of one of the screws which hold it in place (M6x45). It is pretty standard for it to rust in to the rivnut under the bracket and then people tend to drill it off (or destroy the cover) when they have to get to the air filter.

I've shown repairing this in some of the WITW threads although I can't remember which ones. Basically grind it flat, drill it out, drill out the rivnut and replace it with a new one. Sometimes the rivnut is recoverable by grabbing the stump with vice grips, winding the stump of the screw down, cutting off the rusty stump underneath, and then winding it out again. A little heat on the rivnut can help, although obviously be aware of all the flammable and melty things in that area.

Quote:
This relay is for the electric fan that was installed before I purchased this car. I would like to remove this and install it somewhere else. Any suggestion for the best place to mount this?
I put the relay in the car and just run power wires to the fan down the left hand side with all the original fan wiring, but given that yours is already installed, there's plenty of room underneath the air filter box to mount that, and a convenient bracket which holds the corner of the car together.

Quote:
This is a picture of the electric fan that was installed.
Looks similar to the Spal that I use although a different mounting arrangement

Quote:
What is the part number for these headlight screw covers? I need to buy one.
44188136701C

Quote:
These are missing nuts and what is the right one for?
The right one doesn't do anything in a V8. Its for one of the other models

Quote:
Which washer pump is for the headlights?
The white one