View Single Post
Old 14th May 2013, 07:31 AM

Default New boost ideas...

Well, the rear-mount turbo didn't happen, nor traditional turbos, but I have a new idea I'm exploring: the Eaton M122 as found on the Cadillac STS-V. The STS-V had a 90* 4-valve 4.4 litre V8 that produced 470~ hp at 9:1 compression. We of course have a 4.2 5-valve with 11:1 compression in our S8s.

The M122 from the STS is attractive because it is a cheap charger setup, has incorporated Laminova chargecoolers, and is relatively compact.

Currently I can get complete chargers at $700 USD with the chargecoolers. Additionally needed items would be as follows:
Fuel injectors
Coolant pump
heat exchanger
associated hoses, etc.
spacers/adapters
engine tune

All the above listed parts are readily available minus the adapter plates. These would allow the charger to bolt to our heads and also allow for intake port transitions.

Stock Cadillac injectors flow 42 pounds at 3 bar and are high impedance. In order to run off our harness new ends would need to be soldered, otherwise they're fine to use.

Our TB should bolt to this charger as well.

Snout length and belt routing are questions at this point.

Here are pics of the charger and a link to the eBay sale. The seller has roughly 1400 of these. He asks $900 USD but negotiates to roughly $700.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supercharger...p;toolid=10001

BMW folks are already working on this project, I'm just borrowing their engineering. Our engine tuning options are much simpler.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-Get-blown-ITT

All in this could probably be accomplished for ~$3000 USD and have a fairly reliable 450 awhp. Obviously the trans would be an issue, and tuning would be precarious. Head spacers could be produced to drop compression, and may happen if I continue to explore this option. I'd go to 10:1 at lowest to preserve off-boost performance.

All-in-all this could (or will) be the most cost-effective way to boost our engines. The PES kit that's available uses an undersized Eaton M90 head, Motodyne is run by a crook, and I don't think I've seen any other kits other than home-brews. This charger has similar external dimensions to the Eaton M112, but with a greater flow and displacement. The integrated coolers are excellent as well, a great upgrade over more traditional AWIC setups. If ported these chargers are pretty good too, though I don't see it as necessary.

Thoughts, comments, etc., as normal. Also, if anyone else is interested in exploring this with me I'll be ordering a charger soon. I can order multiple and ship to you as well. This could become a good option, much like the Bimmer boys are hoping.