View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2018, 07:46 AM

You can mine Cryptonight (for Monero, Electroneum, Sumo) on virtually any cpu but its not economically viable on anything more than a few years old. I have a couple of 6-year old i7 laptops which were state of the art at the time. They can do 60H/s for 200W, so doing Electroneum thats about 5p a day for 60p a day of electricity. Its cheaper just to buy the coin.

Conversely, the 2-year old i5 workshop PC can do >200H/s for 40W so I just leave that on 24/7 since the cost is insignificant compared to 1KW of lighting, and it sits there making Electroneum for me. That runs the Claymore CPU miner which I found to be the most efficient on my current hardware, but there may be something better.

Salon is a news website whose response to ad-blockers is to use javascript Monero mining to pay the bills instead. There's been a lot of news in the tech press recently about websites and even Starbucks wifi being hacked to run the Coinhive javascript on people's PCs without them knowing, but most AVs block it now. Salon has taken the approach that either you unblock the ads, or you mine some coin for them. I think that is going to become more common as sites seek to recoup lost revenue, and it may be what actually drives Monero value up, since there doesn't appear to be any other use case for it.

I estimate Coinhive can probably make 10-100H/s from the average PC, running in the background without the user noticing. Recruit 100K PCs to do that for you and its going to get a fairly decent return.