View Single Post
Old 1st October 2017, 02:35 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
The only rev related noise I ever suffered on my D2 was the a/c compressor.....

Really easy to test, just put it in Eco or switch off the climate control and see if it goes away.....
Tried that. It made no difference. In fact I tend to drive in Eco mode most of the time, to save a few extra horses. I usually only run the a/c compressor occasionally, except in very warm weather.

To give an update: It's actually turned into yet another big expensive job. If I add up the bills in my ownership of this car, I bet it's not far off the price of a brand new S8 now.

The garage ended up stripping the front end right back to the timing belt again, which was replaced just last year. They noticed it was loose for some reason, so stripped back to investigate. So It's having another new timing belt, and all the associated tensioners, pulleys, etc again. And while they're in there, they're pretty much replacing anything that hasn't yet been replaced, with brand new genuine (ie 'bloody expensive') parts, including the alternator and PS pump.

Still waiting for the PS pump, which has been on back-order for over a week, so that may have to be replaced separately later. I've asked them to get the car ready for me for early next week because I'm driving up to Glasgow next week because I'm booked in for my annual transmission service (to preserve the warranty on the rebuild they did on it last year). Speaking of which, I'm slightly disappointed in Mackies. I booked the car in months ago and asked them to reserve the courtesy car for me because we were booking a couple of nights in Troon (to make the trip into a mini-break) and would need a vehicle to get there. When I phoned them this week to make sure everything was still on I was told the courtesy car "might" be available. Can anyone recommend a good car hire place in Glasgow if it's not?

Oh, and the brake calipers ..... despite the garage's best attempts at reviving them, they needed to be replaced or refurbished. Since I needed the car back urgently, I decided to replace them with genuine new calipers (a whopping £500 per side, inc labour). I'll probably send the old ones away for refurbishing and either sell them, to recover some of the cost, or keep them as spares.

Oh, yeah, and turns out the rad had some damage too .... that was another £500 (genuine).

I'm just glad this is car is my 'company vehicle' and that this is all tax deductible. On numerous occasions I've considered getting a second vehicle for work purposes. Lucky I didn't get around to it yet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Don't forget mark, if ll else fails i am always waiting for a good donor car
Haha! Not a chance.

I've spent so much on this damn car now that it's going to have to be buried along side me!

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 1st October 2017 at 02:39 PM.