View Single Post
Old 9th October 2019, 06:33 AM

I recently adjusted the preload on my D3 whilst changing the track rod ends. The symptoms are more of a clunk when turning the wheel.

Its not too difficult a job once you get the spanner on, 16mm if I remember correctly.

If you take the rear wheel liner off and pull the rubber shield forward (unless you undo the TRE you cant remove it) you can just see the bolt along the rack. The heatshield may get in the way a little, but can be safely pushed down to give access. You can turn the bolt about 1/6 rotation at each go. I think I did about 1.5 turns (on 230k car).

I initially tried to gauge the tightness on the jack stands, but could get a feel for how tight the steering was and over did it, but you can actually reach the bolt even with the wheels on, so was able to loosen it up while I drove around.

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain