Thread: My 01 S8
View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2022, 10:12 PM

I finally got around to start on the valve spring replacement job on this car. This job is such a pain as the first valve spring compressor tool kit that I bought does not really work correctly. Then I went to the local parts store to buy a different tool and that one does not really work either.

I started by removing the intake valves. If anyone is interested, here is a side by side comparison of the two springs. The Supertech valve spring is slightly taller then the stock spring.

Here is the first valve spring compressor tool kit that I bought.

How this tool works is the anchor adaptor is screwed down into the cylinder head and the other end with the open window adaptor is used to compress the valve spring down which allows you access for reinstalling the valve keepers. Also as you can see in this picture I'm using nylon rope (I don't have air compressor nor the adaptors) fed into the cylinder chamber to help keep the valves closed during this job.

Only problem with this tool, is there is too much movement and not completely stationary to do the job correctly without causing problems. This picture here I want to illustrate the top part (left in picture) of this adaptor where it screws into the tool and....

....caused slight damage to this area (not sure the correct name) on the cylinder head. It's not as bad as it looks in this picture as I zoomed in when I took this picture. So I stopped using this tool as it was a struggle to use to compress the valve spring down to reinstall the keepers. Can this be fixed?

I went to the parts store to buy a different tool and the center fork part is too wide.

I had to modify it to get it to fit correctly. The problem with this tool is the lower hooks are too long where you have the valve spring in the tool and compressed, you can't slide the spring over the valve stem as the hooks come very close together and does not allow the valve stem to pass though. So I ended up returning the tool for a refund. Sorry I didn't take a picture showing the hooks coming too close together.

So as of right now, I stopped working on my car until I find a better tool kit to use. Has anyone used this tool kit? Anyone have other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve springs.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	28731   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsc tool 1.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	28732   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsc tool 2.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	28733   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsc tool 3.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	28734   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsc tool 4.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	28735   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsc tool 5.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	28736   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsc tool 6.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	28737   Click image for larger version

Name:	vsc tool 7.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	28738  

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.

Last edited by Audifan; 3rd July 2022 at 10:16 PM.