View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:17 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_quattro View Post
My vehicle 'ran out of fuel' again yesterday for the 4th time, and it always seems to be at a major road junction; this time in Colliers Wood. Easily fixed by a quick walk to the garage that was luckily within visual distance, which was helpful.
I feel your pain. I had that problem for a couple of years or more after a botched fuel pump repair caused some seating/sealing issue with the pump unit. Had quite a few cut-outs in awkward/dangerous places, including while overtaking once or twice.

First time it happened the AA couldn't work out what the problem was so my car was recovered to the garage, who 'fixed' it by putting some more petrol in and declaring the problem to be an iffy fuel sender. After it happened again a couple more times I started carrying a jerry can full of petrol in the boot. Later, I realised it would only happen at just over a quarter tank so for a couple of years or more I got into the habit of keeping the tank at least half full.

After researching the problem and determining it to be an incorrectly seated/sealed pump unit, I had three different garages try to fix it, and I even had a go myself. Eventually I gave up and just ordered used fuel tank (from Prestige), complete with working pump, and swapped the lot.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust