View Single Post
Old 9th October 2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
I learnt to drive in a base model Maestro with the 1.3 Litre engine. When I passed my test I went to the Austin dealer to look at buying one because I was familiar with it, I ended up buying a brand new Metro.

The Maestro was bad, but a lot of cars were back then. I remember driving through a puddle on a driving lesson, the HT system got soaked and we ground to a halt. The car was not even a year old, and would frequently stall when it was damp.

The Metro it turned out was just as bad, difficult to start in the wet and I was always under the bonnet with can of damp start to hand. The Metro was sold at 18months old and replaced by a Vauxhall Astra, much better and more reliable.
Its funny how we've had British Leyland as starts to our driving histories, Austin in particular as a brand, it must point to our patience with car problems nowadays.

My car after the Maestro was a MK1 1.6 Astra SRi (basically the same as the MK1 GTE but with a 1.6 carb engine, bodykit was all the same)

A vauxhall was a huge step up for me in terms of quality and reliability as you say