A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old Today, 01:48 PM

Default Audi Multimedia question

Under the clock in the centre of the dash is a CD slot, two for SD and one for a SIM card.
  • Does anyone know what format of audio the CD player will take? (eg. FLAC, etc) [just realised, I don't have a CD writer any more lol]
  • Same question for the SD card slots - and why two of them?
  • Is it worth getting a SIM for the car?

Thanks
Old Today, 03:23 PM

I have a SIM in mine (Smarty. Loads of data for not very many £'s) With this in place anyone in the car can connect their phones through the car antenna and get a signal evening places where the phone-alone would be unable to. I can then reliably use the phone for Waze navigation.
Regarding the format for recordings. I'd forget the CD slot and use either the SD slots or the data connector in the storage space under armrests. IIRC these will work with FLAC, ACC, and MP3/4 of course.
Ask Chat GPT or similar about this to discover the max size for SD cards and formats it will work with.
In my D4 I have an SSD connected with all the sounds on it. This is plugged into the under-armrest socket and gives capacity for an almost unlimited number of files.
Old Today, 03:43 PM

Thanks for your reply. I am sure it mentioned somewhere about having a 60Gb hard drive somewhere too.
Will do some more digging.
Old Today, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrgakx View Post
Under the clock in the centre of the dash is a CD slot, two for SD and one for a SIM card.
  • Does anyone know what format of audio the CD player will take? (eg. FLAC, etc) [just realised, I don't have a CD writer any more lol]
  • Same question for the SD card slots - and why two of them?
  • Is it worth getting a SIM for the car?

Thanks
I believe it's a DVD/CD player; it supports CDs and DVDs in native format as well as mp3 and mp4 files. but to be honest, I've never used mine in 6 years!

The SD file formats are mp3, wma, asf,m4a,m4b,mpg - all described in the MMI operating manual [SD cards formatted as FAT/FAT32].

Two slots are just convenient; I use one for music and the other for spoken word.

The SIM slot is not, I believe, for phones but for data. Don't have this slot in my car so can't comment.

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!
Old Today, 03:53 PM

There is a 80GB HDD in the car mainly used for Navigation data, but it also has a 20GB 'space' for the 'jukebox'. You can copy from CD/DVD/SD to this but what's the point? you can get 32GB on an SD card.
Note that the MMI system is not on HDD; it is on Flash memory in the 5F unit.

If this all seems strange, don't forget, this car was designed in about 2010!

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!