A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 21st May 2012, 06:17 AM

Default Egr valve delete?????

Does anyone know how to remove the egr valves permanently????

Was thinking that the secondary air circulation pump is quite heavy and the recirculation of exhaust gases isnt very appealing so it seems fairly straight forward to remove them physically. But is there anything that needs to be done to the engine ecu......I recall there were two connections on the ecu that need to be shorted????
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 21st May 2012, 11:47 AM

I want to remove them too. Its not a EGR by the way (if we're talking about the thing that lives in the airbox), its a forced fresh air to exhaust to warm up the cats.

I was told it needs to be mapped out, and was going to go to MRC Tuning to get it mapped out. But if its as easy as shorting some wires, thats even better. Let me know if that works.

Also, I'm guessing we would need to get blank-off plates machined to bolt onto the back of the engine, to maintain vacuum?
Old 21st May 2012, 12:31 PM

Default Egrs and Secondary Air induction pump

The secondary air induction pump lives in the airbox and the egr valves are the metal dome shaped things on the back of the engine...egr valves I think are vacuum operated and open and close rapidly to allow exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber...both are related not sure exactly how but yes I want them out...to make more room and lighter...!
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 24th May 2012, 03:09 PM

I think with the amount that you will gain in reduced weight and room... having to code them out with ECU reprogramming... you would probably gain more elsewhere for less money.

Heating up the Cats quickly is always going to help and it's not like the TDi EGR systems which completely block up the intake systems!!

MG