A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 29th September 2013, 08:39 PM

Default water ingress

Hi all hoping you can help before i back this car to the dealers i got it from. Got the car home from the dealer on friday covered in crap and dirt not amused ! so i decided to wash the car thats were the problems started, after washing i could hear water sposhing about in the rear of the car and also i had water gushing from under the dash into the passenger footwell, the rear lower vents were also blowing water out.

after removing both footwell carpets and the rear vents i discovered lots of water and it also smelt of car shampoo, anyone had the same and know how to solve it ? i dont trust the dealer who sold the car to solve the problems
Old 29th September 2013, 08:51 PM

That all sounds like the usual problems of blocked drains documented here many times, though working out which will take some time as there is a selection to deal with.
First, take out the mats and carpets and put them (and the interior) to dry. Allow days, not hours.

Bags of silica gel will help with the interior. Change them regularly and dry them out before putting back in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupra View Post
water gushing from under the dash into the passenger footwell
That sounds like the aircon condenser drains ("orange drains"). A common problem, easy to solve.
Though it could be the central underbonnet plenum.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th September 2013, 08:57 PM

ive looked and the sound deadning is wet at the very top in the passenger footwell, mats are all out and dehumidifier is in the car, its annoying as ive not had it for a week. guess im slumming it in the misses range roonie
Old 29th September 2013, 09:00 PM

It soaks through everywhere. If really high on just one side (passenger) that "could" also be the infamous "Botang's hole".
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th September 2013, 09:06 PM

a job for tomorrow after work then, that hole is under the ecu area?
Old 29th September 2013, 09:11 PM

Yes, and difficult to get at, lots of dismantling.
Personally I'd start looking elsewhere as it's a relatively small hole and high up so not a likely source of large volumes of water.
Old 29th September 2013, 09:14 PM

i think its the orange drains, as it has the water sploshing and coming from the rear vents,
Old 29th September 2013, 09:23 PM

'Botang's hole' on RHD cars is not under ECU box. It's in plenum chamber area to the right from ECU box and a bit behind it. On RHD cars it is only accessible with tweezers without removing ECU, but but it is enough to remove 'paper' sticker from it and fix the hole by delivering silicone with a long needle.

If it's botang's hole on RHD cars the water will drop on relays unit directly above passenger foot rest. If those relays are not full of water this is not botang's hole.

Also, water can't get to air ducts via botang's hole.
Old 30th September 2013, 05:16 PM

A big thank you to HPsauce, and notorious my passenger side orange drain was blocked, pulled the top off and niagra falls into the footwell, lots of black slime was blown out with the airline.

THANK YOU BOTH
Old 30th September 2013, 05:20 PM

You're welcome. Do the other side too if you can, though there's a bit more to removing the drivers side panel. Knee panel has to come off too as the support for that actually goes through a hole in the side panel covering.
If you found the thread with my comments in you'll see that I removed the orange drains completely (easy enough once you've found them and easy to push back in) and cleaned them thoroughly in a bowl with water and detergent.