A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 3rd August 2015, 01:54 PM

Default Registering your A8 abroad...

The wife and I plan to move out to France (we're here now in the 8 incidentally), and have heard all the stories about how difficult it is to register GB cars out here.

The other day we met an English estate agent whose Volvo, I noticed was French registered but RHD. I asked her if she'd brought the car over and how difficult it was etc. it wasn't so difficult, cost about £1k all in and all that mechanically altered/replaced were the headlights.

Now, I'm wondering if the '8s headlights would need replacing.... I currently use the 'tourist solution' in VCDS while out here,... Could the lights be permanently adjusted etc...

Anyway, all the best. John.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 3rd August 2015, 02:16 PM

It depends on the national requirements. In the UK it wouldn't be permissible to rely on the software approach as it flattens the beam pattern and removes the kick up to the near side. I'd be surprised if the French would accept it, but at a local level you might be ok if they're leniant/lax. Here in the UK it's often overlooked

If you can acquire left hand drive headlights in the right spec from German eBay etc for sensible money it might be a good option

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd August 2015, 02:20 PM

Exciting times John with moving abroad, I wish you the best of luck

I think the tourist mode flattens the dipped beam from uk ¯¯\____¯¯\____ to _____ _____ so not a great permanent solution.

New LHD headlights would give the correct kickup to ____/¯¯____/¯¯ and should be a direct swap if buying the same spec lights, bi-xenon cornering etc..

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 3rd August 2015, 02:20 PM

Cheers Adrian. I hadn't meant the thread to read that I was intending to use the tourist solution long term,.. More, would the headlights need replacing...

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 3rd August 2015, 02:21 PM

Cheers Matty. German eBay it is.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 3rd August 2015, 04:18 PM

Très très chaud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	11510  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 3rd August 2015, 05:52 PM

LoL I'm having the exact opposite problem, LHD headlights not acceptable in the UK
At the moment I got my MOT with those headlight stickers but as a permanent solution I'm going to get a set of UK headlights. I don't know if French MOT would accept the stickers to get rid of the kick?

I researched it a bit and whilst you can adjust the beam down or left/right manually using the plastic cogs, as Adrian says it flattens the beam and won't pass UK MOT.
Looks like the lenses themselves are different RHD to LHD so looks like the only solution is the correct headlight.

France is so nice, I want to move there too
Old 3rd August 2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmed View Post
The wife and I plan to move out to France (we're here now in the 8 incidentally), and have heard all the stories about how difficult it is to register GB cars out here.

The other day we met an English estate agent whose Volvo, I noticed was French registered but RHD. I asked her if she'd brought the car over and how difficult it was etc. it wasn't so difficult, cost about £1k all in and all that mechanically altered/replaced were the headlights.

Now, I'm wondering if the '8s headlights would need replacing.... I currently use the 'tourist solution' in VCDS while out here,... Could the lights be permanently adjusted etc...

Anyway, all the best. John.
probably not too difficult at all
being a diesel insurance shouldn't be too terrible though a lot worse than the uk although getting an attestation in french re your ncb might be a problem , they use a malus /bonus system so you can get 50% off maximum normally

re the lights , I merely changed a rhd audi to flat top beams and it always passed the control technique no problems and worked just fine...some cars now have that as standard it seems

you will need a COC but it should be on the uk V5 at that year

you will need to pass a CT within 6 months of applying , although they SHOULD accept a recent uk MOT but then what about the test on the lights ?

the registration fee depends on age and departement , they still use the fiscal horsepower [CV ] system , and each car is rated and you pay per CV , yours will be about 15 cv and in my departement the tax is €44/cv plus a bit more for fees

unfortunately you could be in for a big ecotax car payment as you are less than 10 years old , also a tax of €160 on your insurance
[url]http://www.frenchentree.com/france-forum/topic/a-useful-fact-sheet-on-registering-a-uk-vehicle-in-france/....not comprehensive but useful

where are you thinking of going ? bear in mind that france is much colder /hotter than the uk in the winter except in a few favoured [ and expensive ] areas ...although i have lived in france since the late 80's I have never stayed for the winter , and as I write the temperature is in the 40's where i live...which is why i am in the uk !

Last edited by lebesset; 3rd August 2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 4th August 2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebesset View Post
probably not too difficult at all
being a diesel insurance shouldn't be too terrible though a lot worse than the uk although getting an attestation in french re your ncb might be a problem , they use a malus /bonus system so you can get 50% off maximum normally

re the lights , I merely changed a rhd audi to flat top beams and it always passed the control technique no problems and worked just fine...some cars now have that as standard it seems

you will need a COC but it should be on the uk V5 at that year

you will need to pass a CT within 6 months of applying , although they SHOULD accept a recent uk MOT but then what about the test on the lights ?

the registration fee depends on age and departement , they still use the fiscal horsepower [CV ] system , and each car is rated and you pay per CV , yours will be about 15 cv and in my departement the tax is €44/cv plus a bit more for fees

unfortunately you could be in for a big ecotax car payment as you are less than 10 years old , also a tax of €160 on your insurance
[url]http://www.frenchentree.com/france-forum/topic/a-useful-fact-sheet-on-registering-a-uk-vehicle-in-france/....not comprehensive but useful

where are you thinking of going ? bear in mind that france is much colder /hotter than the uk in the winter except in a few favoured [ and expensive ] areas ...although i have lived in france since the late 80's I have never stayed for the winter , and as I write the temperature is in the 40's where i live...which is why i am in the uk !
Thanks for that^.

We're considering an area within the Perigord/Limousin/Charente. I have family in the Limousin and the in laws have a holiday place in the Perigord near Nontron.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 4th August 2015, 11:19 AM

sorry , slip of the brain ...to apply you need a CT less than 6 months old !