A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th May 2013, 09:45 AM

Default Service due on the S8

My service indicator went very quickly from flashing 300 miles till due (no warning I noticed before that!) to now just saying 'Service!' so it's going in next week. Looking back it's exactly a year since it was last done and the mileage hasn't factored into it.

Ordered 10 litres of Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 which is just under 90 quid delivered from Opie Oils.

Decided to replace the rear discs and pads as they've always looked crusty and now the pads are fairly worn I feel I should finally do it. Rang the dealer who quoted £54 each for discs and £44 for pads, incl VAT.

Rang Murrays Direct, who I often bang on about their good product range for VAG, and they are doing me rear discs made by Meyle at £22 each. Apparently their Platinum range which these are, are salt water corrosion tested for 2 years so should stay looking good for years. Pads are Bosch (made in Italy) at £17 a set.

Need to check what was done last year, as can't remember exactly. Think it had brake fluid and all the filters so may not need much else this year.

Car is still for sale if anyone is tempted I've started my racing season for toy cars and could do with the cash to spend on that!

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th May 2013, 10:18 AM

The oil you are using certainly has good reviews on the Opie site although, interestingly, I note that it is not included (under the Fuchs or Silkolene name) on the attached AudiTechnical Service Bulletin (dated June 2011). The tech spec is not available off the Opie site but I guess it does meet/surpass the appropriate oil quality standards?
Old 15th May 2013, 10:20 AM

This time with attachment...
Old 15th May 2013, 10:27 AM

£22 each for rear discs, my rear discs are £3,500 + VAT each.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 15th May 2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
The oil you are using certainly has good reviews on the Opie site although, interestingly, I note that it is not included (under the Fuchs or Silkolene name) on the attached AudiTechnical Service Bulletin (dated June 2011). The tech spec is not available off the Opie site but I guess it does meet/surpass the appropriate oil quality standards?
Hiya

Yes I had a long debate with myself on whether to use because it's not on Audi's approved list. I decided it wasn't an issue since there's absolutely no hope whatsoever on cars of our age of Audi giving any goodwill whatsoever if an engine failure occurs, so went for the quality of the product rather than the specs it's been tested to.

I have no doubt it would meet the tests required for approval if Fuchs chose to submit it, but can understand there's little incentive to do so.

The oil is popular with the RS crowd as it offers much better protection for the turbo under hard use.

My car hasn't required a single drop of oil to top it up between annual services. Interestingly our A6 didn't seem to like it so much, so I've gone back to Castrol Edge for that.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th May 2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
£22 each for rear discs, my rear discs are £3,500 + VAT each.
Show off

On a more serious note, I suspect the discs are original at 50-odd k judging by the state of them. The pads are nothing special but seem to have lasted well enough. I'm purely changing them for cosmetic reasons and for a little better balance to the braking I hope. They have a fair lip to them but I haven't got a micrometer to measure the thickness accurately.

Amar - bet your discs don't last 95x as long either lol

Old 15th May 2013, 02:06 PM

'Lifetime of the car' apparently, but where have we heard that before.

Stopping two tons, from 200 MPH 10-15 times the other weekend at Vmax, I was happy to have them, steelies would not have coped.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 16th May 2013, 07:16 PM

Oil arrived a couple of days ago and brake discs and pads arrived this afternoon

The hands of a 3 year old happen to be in the picture for scale

Discs certainly look nice quality - found some marketing guff online about the corrosion resistance of the discs. Will try and grab a pic of the originals if I remember to tell my mate to keep them for me. Would quite like to clean the lip off and measure the thickness to see how close to 20mm they are.

It's going in Monday and will have an alignment check done too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2038.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	6036  

Last edited by Adrian E; 16th May 2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 20th May 2013, 06:19 PM

Service all done - tyres rotated, oil and filter changed, new discs and pads on the back, 4 wheel aligned

Old discs were original, as suspected. Mic'd them at 20.5mm so 3/4 worn according to Audi specs. No longer have the horrid grinding noise at manoeuvring speeds, plus they look a whole lot better!

Total outlay less than £250 so can't complain at that - all good for another year and nothing to report that looks like it'll need attention before then

Old 3rd June 2013, 09:29 PM

that's a cracking price for service bits, will have to check out Murrays offerings