A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 19th March 2011, 01:29 PM

Default E55 Ownership

slightly off topic....Glyn, could you give me some feedback on E55 ownership please? I am getting very very tempted...

Cheers,
Zip
Old 19th March 2011, 04:24 PM

Hi Zip
I had two of them one a 03 and one an 04 plate
In my oppinion its the best motor I have ever owned. Never missed a beat and the only thing that played up was the odd electrical gremlin as both my cars were loaded with gear. The active seat motors gave up and the auto boot close motor threw the towel in and the mobile phone had a buzzing noise they could never fix.
I did 40K miles in the last one in about 18 months and it didn't even need brakes. I averaged around 22-23mpg and didn't hang around
I eventually sold my last one to a local MB independant who wanted the car for himself. They really are a cracking motor and the engine is just superb. No tacky add ones or spoliers so most people don't even know there is a monster lurking under the bonnet. The four pipes are the biggest giveaway I would have bought another but frankly they spoiled it with the E63, the engine just didn't have the same feeling for me so I bought an XK instead.
If your after an E55 do get one that hasnt been messed with or fitted with wheels bigger than standard. WHatever they say they don't fit and they foul the suspension arms as on the merc the top ones come right across the top of the tyre. Some of them had ground off the thread on the nut on the joint to acomodate the larger wheels. I would assume the only way to achieve it would be "very low profile tyres" maintaining the same diameter. I actually got caught as I bought a set of wheels and tyres off some one and you could see the marks in the tyres tread where it had fouled, so I quickly returned them for a refund !!
I was told by one of the MB guys I met at a car do that one of the reasons they changed the engine from the supercharger was because the gearboxes had trouble handling the grunt amongst other things. I never had any issues with mine but I know a couple of lads with SL55's who did.
Also they have been reports of rust occurring on some Mercs so do check the obvious areas for damage. MB will cover it under the warranty if the car has been serviced etc with a main dealer. Servicing was not much more expensive than a 320cdi either so very good value imho.
I do miss mine but blimey I did rack up the shell points on my cards during 3 years of running them Everyone who I exposed to the exceleration was amazed, even my mate who has a Cosworth in Westfield was shocked he coudn't believe a four door saloon could accelerate so quickly. Turn off the traction control floor it and prepare to visit the tyre shop, I only did it once when they were near the limit anyway amazing!
Great sound too, always guaranteed to put a smile on your face
Hope this helps
Cheers
Glyn
Old 28th March 2011, 06:08 PM

Question

....damn, you're supposed to tell me it's a hellish ownership prospect, off the road more than on, £500 for a CV boot etc etc.

Damn, damn, and damn.

What are the tuned ones like? DMS? Kleeman?

Zip