A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 27th November 2012, 04:47 PM

Default front O/S window failure

Afternoon all.

The Ian/Plankton/Bushido/Baryonyx D2 A8 4.2 went through it's MOT today. No advisories though it had to have the rear n/s coil replaced as it was snapped. "hooray", I thought. It's passed it's MOT!

As I was driving home from the garage, I had the front O/S window down. As I put it up on the A1, I tried to bring it back down just an inch or so to let some air in. That's when the window stopped working; stuck in the closed position.

I've got it home and moving the switch, I can still hear the 'click' that the switch makes when it operates (or when you press the switches for the other windows in the closed position). I'm guessing it's not the switch that has gone, more likely the motor. It's not like when the window stopped working in my Focus (the pulley had fallen off it's runners and I could hear the motor grinding).

I am guessing it is the motor that has failed. Could someone tell me which motor it is I need as a replacement, or link me to one for sale?

Also, I have read the door card removal guide. Is removing the door card and fitting a new window motor something that can be achieved by a total cackhander like me?

13 year old car, and the MOT tester commented on how nice it was and how it was in such good shape. Oh well...
Old 29th November 2012, 03:31 PM

Might be worth just checking its not a blown fuse before digging any deeper.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 29th November 2012, 09:37 PM

Same happened on my old D2. The terminators on the motors connector were completely corroded away.
Got a replacement motor from A8 Parts and cos my local mechanic messed me about so much, did the job myself.
Once I had the correct star shaped tool to remove some of the bits it was a doodle and I'm kak at stuff like this
Old 4th December 2012, 08:07 PM

Manny, I can hear the switch clicking when I push it. Sounds as though power is still getting through!

Tonupkid, what tool will I need to remove some of the parts? I'm not taking the door card off only to find I don't have the right tool to change the part!