A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 18th October 2014, 10:30 AM

Default Intermittent O/S Headlight Failure

Hi,

My D3 keeps having intermittent O/S headlight failure... sometimes when I start the car the headlight fault symbol is displayed and the headlight doesn't come on, and other times when I start the car the headlight comes on and there is no headlight fault symbol displayed.

Has anybody experienced this before? Does anybody have any recommendations on how to resolve the issue? Will just changing the bulb do it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel
Old 19th October 2014, 09:45 AM

Swap the left and right bulbs to see if the fault moves, but it's more likely to be the ballast beginning to fail (I assume you have Xenons).

I know.. I know..

Old 19th October 2014, 11:45 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

That makes sense. I will give it a try and see how i get on.

Regards,

Daniel
Old 19th October 2014, 11:45 AM

I believe it has Xenons...
Old 19th October 2014, 04:59 PM

I had the same but changing the bulbs fixed it. So if you're lucky, it's the bulbs
Old 2nd November 2014, 09:43 AM

I'm just going to try changing the bulb first.

Has anybody produced a step by step guide with photos? I can't seem to find one by doing a search?

I'm quickly learning nothing is easy when it comes to these cars!

Regards,

Daniel
Old 9th November 2014, 01:58 PM

Hi,

I had a go at changing the bulb... well I got so far (took the air box off) before changing my mind about the whole thing and putting it all back together. The headlights work fine most of the time, it's just now and again that the bulb doesn't come on when I start the car.

It must be a ballast problem. With the engine and all lights off, I've flashed the headlights a few times and noticed the drivers side bulb was not coming on instantly like the passenger side one. It either comes on after a second or two or doesn't come on at all.

I want to change the ballast. Does anybody have any advice on how best to go about it? I have seen something called ELSA mentioned on here... can anybody tell me a bit more about that? Does it provide step by step guides on how to do things like this?

I'm sorry for bombarding you all with these stupid questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Daniel
Old 9th November 2014, 02:21 PM

I had a similar intermittent failure just like that - on my D2 with the xenon lamps. It was poor contact between the lamp (bulb) and the socket which caused arcing (they are at high voltage) and further deterioration of the contact . When the lamp was renewed - no more problem.
Old 9th November 2014, 02:31 PM

Hi Daniel

If changing the bulbs, do both, not just one at the time.
Removing the air box is the way to do it. Also to give you a little bit of extra room you want to undo the top screws holding the headlight and two at the bottom on the rear of the headlight. You can then push the headlight out a bit.

I dont know what you have on the passenger side, but petrol engines have reservoir which you unbolt and move out of the way, but not by much, and you can undo the screws holding the headlights as well.

If you struggling then your best call is to remove wheel and wheel arch plastic liner, this way you can get a straight access to the back of the headlight

I would try bulbs first not the ballasts

Elsa gives you step by step guide to almost all the repairs on the car plus things like maintenance lists and current flow diagrams, but I haven't seen a guide to how to change a xenon bulb because I never needed one, I just went for it.

here is the link to ELSAwin
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-WORKS...item3cea4734cf

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 9th November 2014, 02:35 PM

...what engine is your and year??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten