A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 9th June 2012, 12:22 PM
Banned

Default MMI screen is stuck out and not working its just black

well the screen came out today and decided to stay out and its just a black screen no picture no radio or cd or nothing cant use sat nav cant change the air ride nothing ahhh its one thing after another i have looked at all the fuses in case it was a fuse but nothing
and when i get in the car when its been locked you can hear the speakers making a noise for a few seconds then it just stops and its dead just no life in it

is there any thing i can do ?

i dont have any vag com that works with my car although i may have in the next few days thanks to A8 doc

god the amount of times i need vag com and just have not got it its silly now

any help with this would be great

Ps where are all the brains and electrics for the MMi as i did drive through some fairly deep water the other day and i have had no problem with the MMi in the past until now im sure you have all seen the flooding in my area at the moment

Last edited by daviesbike; 9th June 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 9th June 2012, 12:36 PM

Aren't these (d3s) seriously susceptible to funny business as soon as the main battery starts to go a bit sick? Just a thought but I'm only guessing!

Is it worth the old windows trick of reboot by disconnecting the battery for a bit?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 9th June 2012, 01:23 PM

My MMI went blank once, tried everything and still the same until I did a battery disconnect for 20 minutes and then reconnect

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 9th June 2012, 01:27 PM
Banned

worth a try by all means

i will do so now and see what happens

it makes a clicking noise in the boot but still wont work i get the MMI load up screen and then it just goes black

will try battery and report back in 20 mins or so ...........
Old 9th June 2012, 02:45 PM

I know it's a previous generation, but my SatNav has on occasion just "locked up" and turning it on and off achieves nothing.

Pulling the relevant fuse (in my case it's in the boot) for a few minutes reset it OK. It definitely needed longer than a quick in and out.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th June 2012, 02:47 PM

There's a 'three button salute' for the MMI too.

Press the 'Tel', main knob and top right meta-key together.

My PF D3 had all manner of issues with the MMI and electrics as I was getting water in.

I know.. I know..

Old 9th June 2012, 03:36 PM
Banned

well i have tryed the battery disconnected for 45 mins and nothing its did not work

i have tryed re-booting it with Tel middle knob and top right button but that dose not work ether all i get is the audi MMI screen load up for a few seconds and then its just goes black again !

any more thoughts guys ?
Old 9th June 2012, 03:40 PM

Fuses all OK?

If one item in the loop dies, the whole thing goes down Check for loose connections in the media rack in the boot.

I know.. I know..

Old 9th June 2012, 04:00 PM
Banned

have checked all fuses they all look ok ?

have also wiggled the connections in the boot on the tv tuner ect and still nothing ? its driving me nuts

it came on again as if it was going to load up and the radio came on and it said updating radio menus and then it just died again and back to square one and its still dead as a door nail ? what the hels that all about

its winding me up now because the car is simply useless with out the MMI unit working there in no control over anything !
Old 9th June 2012, 04:10 PM
Banned

who is the closest person to me with vag com i wander so i can do a loop test or what ever its called to see if there is a controller or anything in the loop that has failed but if so why did it come back on for a brief few moments ?

bloody thing is doing my head in now its too bleak in the car with out the MMI up and running