A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 6th July 2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Default Help with 275-45-20 on FE 9.5J

As Above i need some new tires and i keep getting part worn P Zeros and this time i have decided its time to get new and be done with it now i have a 275-35-20 fitted at the moment

Question is on a D3 Non Sport suspension do you think the 45 v 35 will make any difference ie rubbing ect ? the 45's are far cheaper and the stats are the same as the P-Zero 35...ie

db noise level 73
E rating for fuel ect
C rated for wet weather

but i can get a full set brand new fitted for £360

and the P-Zero in a 35 size a full set cheapest i can get is £890 fitted

there is a huge difference and at the cost of £160 more than £200 i pay for part worn sets id rather a full 10mm tread and it last me a while without having to think about it.

i was even thinking about a 50 profile the D3 Seems to have the arches for it and the Bentley has a 55 profile on a 20 inch wheel i believe

Feed back much appreciated as im looking to order tomorrow
Old 6th July 2014, 11:41 AM

I would probably not go higher than 40% sidewall on 20 but judge for yourself from the picture below.

Also you did not say what brand are the tyres you have in mind. I always go for second hand premium brand over new cheap brand. The ones I have on D2 S8 now are Goodyear Eagle F1 255/45R19, £180 for a set fitted and balanced, 2 came with 7mm and 2 with 7.5mm. New ones come with 8mm.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	8551  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 6th July 2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 6th July 2014, 02:32 PM
Banned

yes i tend to agree i used to always get Part worn P-Zeros because they were £200 for a full set however in a 20" ive never had more than 4mm tread they always seem to be 1-2mm above legal rather than the Full 9mm you get with a new one ?

so i would be better off with a 275-40-20 rather than the 45 then i take it im just after that extra arch fill and also that tiny bit more rim protection as well as comfort on a long run
Old 6th July 2014, 03:08 PM

I do not buy second hand tyres with less than 6mm of tread or older than 3.5 years. I consider 3mm to be the end of life for tyre so I would not buy a tyre with 4mm for anything else than spare tyre or just a single temporary tyre. It does take fair bit of searching until I get what I want for the price I want but I start a search in good time.

One place to get a good deal is DM tyres http://dmtyres.co.uk/ but that's 160 miles from me so no good unless I am going that way for something else anyway. They do delivery as well but then you loose out for the cost of delivery and the free fitting which makes it considerably more expensive if you need to pay £20-30 for delivery and another £30-40 for fitting.

Another one I have used is http://www.cheapesttyrescoventry.co.uk/ but experience varies, sometimes you can get a good deal, other times way overpriced, I guess it's down to whoever is working there at the time. This is where I got current 19" Goodyears, they said set of 17" would be £150-160, week later I came in and they wanted £240 so I told them to f***off and got a set of Continental Contisport 3 on e-bay for £140, one with 7.5mm, 2 with 7mm and one with 6mm. I was even offered to choose any 4 out of 6 tyres he had, two were made 2012, other two 2013.

There is always e-bay but a lot of overpriced cr@p on there and not so easy to get a matching set of 4 but good deals are to be found if you have patience.

Local polish services also have decently priced tyres but little choice, only single tyres or pairs, never full set.

New summer car tyres are mostly 8-8.5mm tread when new, winter tyres can be up to 10mm. Van or all terrain tyres have more tread as well.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 6th July 2014, 04:35 PM
Banned

Maybe Il just get some range rover tyres with extra tread then .. I didnt think a full set for just over £300 new fitted was a bad deal.. yes budget ones but motorway jurneys cant be so bad surley ?
Old 8th July 2014, 09:59 AM

Don't forget you need to look at the rolling radius as well.
Too much or too less and it will affect your speedo.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 8th July 2014, 09:00 PM
Banned

275 40s fitted tomorrow !
Old 9th July 2014, 09:09 AM

275/40 seems massive.

Pics please.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 9th July 2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
275/40 seems massive.

Pics please.
Mine has the 20" FE wheels fitted and they are on 275/35 so an extra 5% on 275 is only 13-14 mm extra sidewall. Not that much really.
Old 9th July 2014, 10:41 AM

I'm on about the width not the side wall.

I'm used to 205 and 235.
255 seems big to me at moment and 275 is massive.