A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 19th June 2012, 09:21 PM

Default Quick Answer Needed Please !!!!!

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me a really quick answer...... been offered a set of 20 x 9 Audi wheels but the offset is 46. Supposedly off an A6. That aint right for my 2002 Audi S8.... is it ?

The tyres that are fitted are 255x35x20 which off the top of my head doesn't sound right either for a 9" rim ?????

Thx in advance !

Ricky !

Last edited by Ricky22buk; 19th June 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 19th June 2012, 09:52 PM

what have you got on yours at the moment?

You can check any differences between existing and new wheels/tyres HERE

Ive got a set of D3 20 x 9" final edition wheels for winter wheels on my D2 but I think the tyres are 275 wide. the only thing to be careful about on some D2s with 9" wheels at the front is that they dont foul the suspension bars anywhere on the inside but this can easily be sorted with spacers

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	3890  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 19th June 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 19th June 2012, 10:00 PM

Just have the original 18 Avus alloys at the moment......

So from your reply can I assume the offset is right then mate..... because that's the one thing I was concerned about ?

Would it do any harm driving on the 255x35x20's or would they need to be changed ?

Thank you !!!!

Last edited by Ricky22buk; 19th June 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 19th June 2012, 10:38 PM

The offset effect depends on what the Avus wheels offset is?

You can use the calculator HERE to double check the effect for your car specifically - example below

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Offset.JPG
Views:	604
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	3891  

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
Old 20th June 2012, 04:32 AM

So are you saying the above is correct then. My Avus alloys are 8" and I think the offset is 48 (correct me if I'm wrong), and if I put on a 9" wheel with a 46 offset I will need a 15mm spacer ? Will the car drive ok by not having the same offset ? Will it put extra load on wheel bearing etc ?
Sorry for the silly questions but I don't want to buy these if they aren't right but I have to make a decision this morning........

Thx again !

Last edited by Ricky22buk; 20th June 2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 20th June 2012, 05:52 AM

2mm differencein offset is not much and effect on bearing will be minimal. I don't think you will need spacers or at least not 15mm maybe 5-10mm because wheel is wider. Using spacers does put extra load on bearings. You need 11mm extra space on inside, check the clearance with old wheels and if you have more then 11mm clearance you will be ok.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 20th June 2012, 06:22 AM

^^^ Wot he said" ^^^
it looks like the extra inch width of the wheels is spread over 11mm on the inside of the wheel and 15mm on the outside so take a look at existing clearance both sides and see what you've got. If the inner edge is close to fouling the suspension arms etc then you may consider using a hub-centric set of spacers - probably 10 or 15mm to move the wheel further out.

It sounds like you will have space but at the end of the day it is something you will have to take responsibility for checking and the final decision but plenty of folk have 9" wheels successfully installed on the front of their D2's. The rears have much more room than the front by the way so less of an issue there.

Good luck with the purchase if you go ahead (lets see some before and after pics!)

Old 1st July 2012, 06:16 PM

Thx for the info guys.... very helpful indeed and very much appreciated..... although having said that the guy pulled out of the deal we had agreed at the last minute..... disappointed as I've been looking a set of these for a while now...... aw well...... the search continues !!!!!

Cheers !