A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 30th July 2013, 05:28 PM

Default Blind removal

Has anybody removed the rear parcel shelf blind and also the 2 in the rear doors that pull up? If so some pics and a thread would be useful.

Mine aren't broke theres just something I want to do with them and need to know the easiest and best way to get them out and back in.

Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 06:49 PM

you will need to remove the rear seat backs and the whole rear door cards to get to the rear parcel shelf and side blinds.

There is a good article on removing the rear door cards on THIS Audipages article, just take it steady or you will snap clips off (may even be worth gathering some new door clips prior to doing the job as they are literally pence for a pack on ebay.

Rear Blind mechanism is attached below the rear parcel shelf, just be careful as they are shall we say a bit fragile and subject to sticking if you are not careful when you reassemble everything if you have warped or twisted any part. you also need the curved wooden pieces to be in place under the shelf so that they help keep it even when it slides back into place. when I upgraded mine to alcantara the rear blind wasnt playing ball as it had these pieces missing and when i removed them from the old blind and glued them into place on the new one, it seemed to work correctly straight away.

Rear seat removal - disconnect the battery, otherwise the airbag module will record a fault when you disconnect the seats

The base comes out first. There are two crosshead screws - One at each side, directly under the squab on the vertical carpet behind an inch square carpet cover, one at each side. Remove these screws and lift the front of the squab up and move it forward. Disconnect any wires and remove from car.

This reveals the rear backrest bolts at the bottom, and the isofix in your case. The Isofix is 2 x 13mm bolts in each side, iirc, and once this is removed, you can remove the 2 crossheads under the isofix that actually holds the backrest in place.

Before the backrest comes out though, the facelift cars have 2 extra 10mm bolts at the top of the armrest, under the center head rest. Pop the center head rest up, and the armrest down. There is a leather cover which is held by two poppers at the bottom. They pop out, and the leather cover moves up to reveal the two bolts. Remove them.

Then, preferably with a helper, the whole backrest has to go up vertically by a couple of inches before it lifts forward and off its hooked brackets. You can safely pop it on the floor where the base was whilst you disconnect the airbags and fathom out the center seatbelt.

Once done, the backrest will come out of the car easily.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 30th July 2013, 10:53 PM

Just to add to Neils comprehensive instructions.
The top section of the parcel shelf is just held on by push-in plastic clips that clip into the electric blind frame. Once this is off, you will see that the main part of the parcel shelf has two screws that also go into the blind frame. Also there are two plactic clips near the doors, push them through from the boot.
Before you take out the parcel shelf, unbolt and unplug the speakers from the boot, then remove them. First you will have to remove the black plastic speaker covers to see the speaker bolts.
The electric blind frame is held on to the car by 3 nuts from the boot roof. It is further bolted to the parcel shelf from underneath by four nuts and sliding bolts.
One word of caution. When sliding the blind and shelf back in, be careful and ensure that you dont knock out the belt tensioner igniter plug, especially the middle one. Ask me how I know
Old 31st July 2013, 07:07 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

[quote=stig1983;60094.....theres just something I want to do with them and need to know the easiest and best way to get them out and back in.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Any clues? I'd thought about sticking a message to the rear blind along the lines of "get out of my f'ing boot!" to display when appropriate.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 31st July 2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Any clues? I'd thought about sticking a message to the rear blind along the lines of "get out of my f'ing boot!" to display when appropriate.
Great minds, i wanted a picture of the middle finger so i could give those bellends the bird via a touch of the button.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 31st July 2013, 09:30 AM

You might be amused at this then.

I was on the M6 minding my own business when an elderly gent in a BMW 5 series estate decided to park his car about a foot away from my boot at 70MPH. Now he could have overtaken the motorway was very quiet, but he decided instead to start flashing his lights and waving his fist!

He was so intent on playing his silly game that he failed to notice a black Skoda creeping up behind him. I couldn't see this as my rear view mirror was full of BMW 5 series bonnet. But my Daughter who was several hundred metres behind saw all the fun as it happened. suddenly (having seen enough I'd think) the Skoda turned on it's pretty blue lights and made a lot of noise End result one 5 series 'aving a chat with the law. I suspect that tickets would have been written and a licence gained a few points.
Old 31st July 2013, 09:57 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

:rofl: (why does 'rofl' do that sometimes?)
Old 31st July 2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
:rofl: (why does 'rofl' do that sometimes?)
it seems to be that you need to type before putting a rofl in like this
if you just do rofl then it just types it

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 31st July 2013, 11:26 PM

I wanted to put the Car clubs logo on the blinds