A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 17th June 2015, 09:46 AM

Question Sunroof won't open...

....next problem.

When I try and open the sunroof, the rear section tilts down ready to slide back into the roof, the sunroof moves back about an inch, then there is a dull clonk, the sunroof stops moving. I have to close it on the dial for it to reseat itself properly in the closed position.

It continues to operate in tilt mode perfectly ok.

Any ideas? It doesn't open far enough for me to see any obvious issues.

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 17th June 2015, 10:26 AM

I can't help with your problem Zip, but you have a tilt mode? I don't, or am I missing something!

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 17th June 2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Peach View Post
I can't help with your problem Zip, but you have a tilt mode? I don't, or am I missing something!
Push the dial up so it clicks?
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 17th June 2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I thought the D2 tilt was just turning the switch the opposite way from slide, or were/are the PF and FL different?

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 17th June 2015, 10:38 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
I thought the D2 tilt was just turning the switch the opposite way from slide, or were/are the PF and FL different?
Definitely push/pull for tilt on the FL. But I think you might be right. I think it was a turn the opposite way on the PF D2s I had .... or was that a previous car I owned? ... can't remember ...
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 17th June 2015, 10:48 AM

Well I never knew that. I need to go and try it at lunch time! Sorry Zip - back on subject now!

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 17th June 2015, 10:49 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

A flippant comment - move to Scotland and you won't be bothered about a sunroof that doesn't open!

A more helpful comment - the sunroof is pretty easy to remove to inspect the mechanism. There are 2 spring clips at the front of the sunroof cover - open these and push the cover backwards. There are then 6 torx bolts that attach the sunroof (3 on each side) - awkward to get at and a magnetic or gripping screwdriver would be useful, but not essential. Remove these and lift the sunroof out from above (2 people are useful here).

The mechanism is now easy to inspect and can be operated without the sunroof in place. There are quite a few fiddly plastic bits that may have broken or become disengaged and these should be identifiable on careful inspection. Or it may just be jammed if you're lucky.

Hope you get it fixed.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 17th June 2015, 10:50 AM

PF is a 2 way dial.

Zip, try taking the plastic down and inside should be a Z shaped tool for manual winding. Try opening it with that. Could be a hard spot it doesn't like.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 17th June 2015, 11:01 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
A flippant comment - move to Scotland and you won't be bothered about a sunroof that doesn't open!

A more helpful comment - the sunroof is pretty easy to remove to inspect the mechanism. There are 2 spring clips at the front of the sunroof cover - open these and push the cover backwards. There are then 6 torx bolts that attach the sunroof (3 on each side) - awkward to get at and a magnetic or gripping screwdriver would be useful, but not essential. Remove these and lift the sunroof out from above (2 people are useful here).

The mechanism is now easy to inspect and can be operated without the sunroof in place. There are quite a few fiddly plastic bits that may have broken or become disengaged and these should be identifiable on careful inspection. Or it may just be jammed if you're lucky.

Hope you get it fixed.
Thanks....but mine is glass, so may have some subtle differences. I'll look tonight, assuming I get the bl**dy temp sensor swapped before it gets dark...

Like IT Ian, I LOVE my sunroof, and would never buy car without.....despite now needing regular and liberal applications of Factor 30 on my bonce....!!!

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 17th June 2015, 11:02 AM

Talking

Quote:
Well I never knew that. I need to go and try it at lunch time! Sorry Zip - back on subject now!
Yet another person on this forum who didn't know it could tilt. Typical blokes....never read the hand-book

Z