A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Driving bliss

Driving bliss Best roads? Best music? Whatever makes your 8 the best place to be, share it with us

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st March 2009, 08:23 AM

Default 5, and a bit, year review

Where do I start?

I bought my A8 after owning various cars over the years and wanting something rather delightful. My car history goes as follows:

LHD W Reg BMW520 (not an i )
Mk IV 2 Litre Cortina
Volvo 240 (2.3......more rapid than I thought )
2.6 Rover SD1
1.4 Orion (gutless, absolutely gutless )
2.9 Granada Scorpio (not the Cossie )
1.8 Passat
4.2 Audi A8

Of all the cars I've ever owned, they've all had their own quirks. The Beemer was a delight to drive, even in LHD mode. Had been learning to drive in a 1ltr Metro, so this was a huge change!!! The Cortina, was a battered £150 wreck, but mechanically was very solid, and rapid for it's age. The Volvo was a surprising drive (better than the company S60 I've got now! IMO).......All of these led up to my owning the A8. In honesty at the time of purchasing the Passat, I'd been looking for an A6 (boxy shape ) but couldn't find one at the right price, so went for the Passat, and I'm pleased I did.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a review of the Audi A8 that I've now owned for a little over 3 years.

What can I say?

I bought the car with 78000 miles on her, and for the first year drove her as she was, not modifying her in any way, just taking stock of the beast that I'd purchased. I have to say it was at first sight. I was supposed to be looking at another car, but never got that far

Over the 3 year period of ownership, I've had problems, but nothing that was insurmountable. My gearbox lost reverse (I'd been doing 36k/year at the time!!), I've had tw@s drive up the side of her, but in all honesty I've not had what I'd call major issues that I would say weren't down to wearand tear (except the drunk who took out the drivers side!!)

Even now, she still surprises me down the twisties, and surprises an awful lot of other people too (A8 on 3 wheels up Zig-Zag hill anyone? )

What's she got?
Satnav (Was the plus, but now RNS-E)
Electric everything
RS4 brakes with RS6 disks
LPS exhaust

There were only a couple of ommissions from the factory options list:
Solar roof
Rear entertainment pack and 20" S-lines

Do I wish she had them? Of course I do, but does it detract from my driving experience and pleasure? Not a jot.

No other car I've driven in recent years has given me as much pleasure, and so little siatic nerve problems

Would I recommend one as a purchase? Without hestitation
Will I be getting shot of mine? Not for the foreseeable future I won't

A8OC Founder

The A8 Owners Club here