A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:08 PM

Unhappy Gearbox - limp home mode grrrrrr

Hello to all. My old girl is an A8L FL 2000 model, 4.2

Can anyone offer advice with regards to the A8 gearbox entering limp home mode? I was just outside of Gatwick and went to pull away at the roundabout. I heard an enormous thump and lost drive. Put my HWL on and then noticed all red lights ablaze on the dashboard (PRND432). I managed to pull away with about 2000 rpm (going nowhere fast) and managed to get back to a friend's house.

I noticed a couple of days ago a slight non-output of power when changing gear. MY gearbox has always thumped a bit when drawing up to a junction, I suspect when changing down from 2nd to 1st gear. Nothing since apart from today's experience.

First off, I'm going to try to get back home which is a 15 mile journey. Is there any danger in attempting this? Secondly, will a gearbox fluid change help in any way or am I going to be throwing money away? I say that, because I read something on Paul Waterloo's audipages.com site about something similar and the chap in question managed to fix his problem with a fulid change. That would be a right result compared to the cost of either a repair or reconditioned gearbox.

If a gearbox recon looks like the only option, does anyone have any recommendations for companies in the South London/Surrey area?

Thanks in advance for any insights or assistance.

Tags
gearbox limp home a8l fl